Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bits of Fab

This is such a minor blip on our adoption journey… but I feel encouraged and just wanted to share!

I felt overwhelmed today… just one of those days where things feel a bit out of control and I wanted to have a sense of order… I was waffling with adoption thoughts – should I be reading more? Taking more classes? Learning Amharic? Rearranging the house to make room for a growing family? On and on…

So I decided to distract myself with sewing. I have been making these cute little purses and thought I’d make a few more… so I went up to my scrap fabric bin and grabbed some fun prints and started cutting away.

Seriously, aren't they cute?
MAJOR SIDE NOTE: I’ve got this ongoing craft sale happening on Facebook as a fundraiser to offset adoption expenses. I named it “Bits of Fab” because there’s so much that can be done with “leftover” bits of fabric. Trying to create out of the scraps is a fun challenge! It’s like a puzzle… what can fit in this random piece?? Anyway… back to my primary train of thought... :)

I’m laying down patterns for the purse on the scraps of fabric, making sure I have enough to start the project. And as I’m doing this, I realized I had just enought of the first fabric. So I move onto cutting the next print. And I have just enough of that to make another bag. Literally, JUST ENOUGH. This continued… and I continued to have JUST ENOUGH.

Whew. Thank you, Lord, not just for giving me enough fabric (although that was a nice treat today since Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays.) Thank you for knowing what I need and making sure I have ENOUGH! I get the message loud and clear. No more worrying for me today…

Matthew 6:30-34 (Message)
If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

3 comments:

  1. I needed that right at this moment!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts through you journey and know that they are touching others in theirs as well. I have just been able to take a huge breath of relief because of this reminder. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Annette! I almost didn't post it because it seemed so minor... but I'm learning that the little things teach big things! Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  2. I love these little moments with God. Idea for you: My cousin has a serious purse line she started. She gets most of her material for FREE from furniture manufacturers. Whoever puts leather couches together was just throwing the scraps out. Maybe there's something like that in Richmond.
    -Kat.

    ReplyDelete