Thursday, February 27, 2014

Reconciling the 3 C's

Confession time: I love my life. I in no way intend to come across as prideful when I make that statement. God has given me exceedingly more than I deserve or could ask for…  I love my husband, kids, family. I love that I have been staying home during this phase and can be completely focused on caring for them. I have community in a neighborhood, schools, church, friendships…. We are healthy. There is no drama going down anywhere. I am BLESSED.

Yes, there have been challenges in the past and there will be more to come in the future. That’s a given. But at this stage of the game, it’s easy to use the word “content”. Content is being satisfied where you are with what you have. I’d like to believe that I’d still be content even if I had less… no matter what my circumstance… because more than anything else, I have hope in a God who is bigger and better than I can even imagine.
I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phil 4: 11-13

I have always feared contentment. Crazy, right? But it’s because I’ve often confused contentment with comfort. And I’m leery of being too comfortable… because too much comfort could breed complacency… and I know that on the other side of the world (and in our own backyards), people with hearts like yours and mine are suffering. SUFFERING. And while they are suffering, I’m comfortable. I can’t handle that. So I’ve been praying for no complacency within me.

And wouldn’t you know, God has responded to that prayer in a way that I did not expect... 

I thought it was going to be answered by a really cool opportunity that recently came my way. The opportunity felt meaningful and exciting and it was easy to see the impact it could have on people. But that opportunity would have required sacrifices. Sacrifices that may not be considered important by some, but that are significant to me… sacrificing the ways I can support Chad, walking Asher to school, one-on-one time with Cora, volunteering, sleep, low-stress, etc. 

I started weighing the pros and cons of the opportunity and thought it was going to be a difficult decision. But it wasn’t. Disappointing, maybe. But not difficult. Because when it came down to it God made it clear to me that NO was the answer. Simple as that. And in saying no, it was also made clear that He’s had our family on the path to simplifying life for years. And although it sometimes feels too comfortable, or counter-cultural, this phase of life is intentional. It is my period of renewal and preparation. 

So, Chad and I are prioritizing balance and simplicity at the present time… knowing it frees us up to help, serve, and jump in where needed in little and big ways while we wait for our BIG jump into adoption! 

James 1:27 Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

A quick update to my last post... 
Asher and Cora are now proudly sporting their Amharic
titles for brother (wundim) and sister (ehit). The joy continues to grow...


2 comments:

  1. Kristin I LOVE your heart. I LOVE your honesty and being REAL. So thankful for your friendship! God is going to bless your obedience and your faithfulness to Him:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for listening to me vent about it all last night. :)

      Delete