Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Not-so-Secret Secret

So, I should probably put this out there sooner than later – Asher and Cora do NOT yet know that we are adopting. Please don’t be the first to tell them. ;)

We’ll likely sit them down after we receive a referral with information on our specific kids. Until that point, there are just too many unknowns. Without having even a slight clue about ages, genders and timeframes, they would have more questions than we have answers…

That’s not to say that we aren’t trying to prepare them. Words like “orphan”, “adoption”, “culture”, etc. are commonplace in our house right now. I’m checking out library books with pictures of kids from other countries. I drop in comments here and there about people in need. I remind them that my old job was at a place that helped kids. If I thought they’d be adventurous at the dinner table, I’d even make some Ethiopian food. (But seeing as how they're turning down even grilled cheese these days, I’m thinking injera is a stretch...)

I jump on any chance to slip it into our day-to-day chats. Seriously, its like I’m constantly looking for an opportunity to pounce! The other day, Asher was asking questions about “Aunt Sally.” She is a dear friend who is not related to us. He wanted to know why we call her “Aunt”… and thus began what I considered an awesome parenting moment about “love” being an action verb… We can choose to love someone and bring them into our family, just like God loves us and adopts us into His family… and then Asher was on to something else. To be honest, I don’t even know if he heard a word that I said. But I’m trusting that those fleeting moments of depth will be a foundation for what’s to come.
 
We're so glad you are part of our family,
Aunt Sally & Uncle Sean!!
 
Six years ago I was back in Cincinnati reuniting with old friends at a baby shower for Asher… These ladies spent time praying for Asher… and specifically asked the Lord to prepare his heart to share his parents in a future adoption. What foresight they had to pray for his sweet spirit while he was still being formed. I love them. And I love the Lord for continuing to answer that prayer. 

Both Asher and Cora have a natural tendency to share. They will have their own challenges and adjustments as our family changes, but I am focusing on and encouraging the parts of their personalities that will flourish with the adoption. Asher is such a helper. He doesn’t hesitate to give, even if it’s a sacrifice to him. And Cora is so relational. She wants to know who is connected to who. Once she has a name and a label (brother, sister) for the new kids, she will be attached.

I so enjoyed this recent conversation that I overheard between the kids. A few days prior, a man had stopped me at Asher’s school and asked if he could bless the kids by giving them each a $2 bill. Apparently, this gentleman considers it his ministry to encourage kids that are behaving well (and thankfully, mine were that afternoon!). They were obviously thrilled. Fast forward to Sunday morning while we were getting ready for church. Asher grabbed his $2 bill and put it in his pocket for the offering. (See what I mean? That boy will give ALL he has!) Then it went like this:
  • Asher: "Cora, are you going to give your $2 to church or hold onto it for no good reason? What is the right thing?"
  • Cora: "I do right thing!"
  • Asher: "Then we give it to the orphans."
Ahhh… Love them. So proud.

  

 

 

 

1 comment: