Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Princess Tiana


For those of you who saw me when I was all distraught over Tiana, know that all’s well that ends well. Cora asked Santa for the Tiana doll. Santa complied. We had one happy little girl on Christmas morning.
 


For everyone else, rewind to 3 months ago. Chad and I were meeting with our social worker for the first time during the home study process. We spent a chunk of that meeting discussing how to prepare for becoming a multi-racial family. At this time Cora was just entering the Disney Princess phase. Perfect. I would take her on a special trip to the store to get Tiana. We’d have a black doll in the mix and that would be a first step in introducing a global perspective to Cora.

Minutes after the social worker leaves, we hop into the car. I’m way excited to take Cora to the store to get Tiana. (Yes, I now have the hindsight to know that my excitement was really about the positive meeting with the social worker and having tangible next steps. The excitement was not really about the doll. Unfortunately, at the time, I did not yet have that perspective.)

So, we take her to the store, building up the idea of buying a new doll. We walk down the Disney aisle and I start gushing about Tiana. She is such a beautiful princess. Look at her pretty brown hair. She seems like a kind friend. Let’s take her home. She can be part of our family. Etc.

Cora’s reply was a flat out “no.” Instead, she pointed to Cinderella. She gushed right back at me in 2 year old talk. She so pretty. I like blue dress. She nice. I want her.

Not quite what I had planned... I freaked out a bit. I felt deflated that Cora was rejecting the black baby doll… of course that meant she would have no interest in our future family members. Or not. Chad talked me down from my emotional cliff, reminding me that Cora was just choosing the doll that most resembles her own appearance. It’s common toddler behavior. Go figure.

Some time after that day, Cora took a liking to Tiana and decided she did in fact want her to be part of our family. Hence the request to Santa, long awaited Christmas morning, and now smiling Cora. Whew.

 

1 comment: